9 Cool Things to Do in the Galápagos Islands
The Galápagos Islands are one of the must unique places on the planet. You experience close encounters with animals and explore spectacular settings that tell the story of evolution.
Here are 9 really cool things you can do during your trip to the Galápagos Islands.
1) See giant tortoises up close in the wild. Look for them in patches of tall grass or partially submerged in mud ponds.
2) Explore ancient lava tunnels. Lava tunnels, or tubes, are created during volcanic eruptions when lava flows beneath the surface which has cooled and hardened. Many of these tunnels are now inactive, making them both safe and interesting to explore.
3) Snap photos of brightly colored animals. Kayak at Punta Estrada for close-ups of red and orange sally lightfoot crabs, golden manta rays, and blue-footed boobies. You can also find pink flamingos on the Galapagos Islands.
4) Dodge colonies of spitting marine iguanas sunbathing on the sand. Marina iguanas spit, or sneeze, as a way to excrete the salt they swallow during their daily ocean swims.
5) SCUBA dive or snorkel with sea lions, sea urchins, sea turtles, and other creatures of the sea.
6) Hike through a jet-black field of petrified lava at Sierra Negra.
7) Swim with sharks through the gap between skyscraper high rocks at Kicker Rock.
8) Spot Galapagos Penguins waddling on the beach at Las Tintoreras.
9) Practically trip over sea lions lounging about town on San Cristobal Island.